Saturday, March 5, 2011

Banana Whoopie Pies


Lately, I have had whoopie pies on the brain... The red velvet ones I made for Valentine's Day were a huge hit. Matt has declared that he wants either those or a cookie cake for his birthday next month. "Seriously?" Was my response. And yes, he was serious. He would forgo an actual birthday cake for red velvet whoopie pies (because they were that dang good!). Now I know, whoopie pies were last year's trend. But I love them... I love the idea of them... I love the countless possibilities of flavor combinations. I have always been the person to catch onto trends a year two after everyone else, so why should that be in different with my baking. :)
I saw banana whoopie pies on one of Martha Stewart's Cookie of the Day emails. If you have not subscribed to these emails, I highly recommend that you do. I brainstorm a lot of new ideas by reading the various recipes that come through my inbox. After skimming over the recipe for the banana whoopie pies, I immediately started to think... what goes well with bananas? Well, there are a lot of things... but a no-brainer is peanut butter, so I decided to go that route with the filling. Yum! I also love bananas dipped in chocolate, so I thought I would spruce up half the batch with an added touch of sweetness. Yum, Yum!
These were well received by both my husband and my co-workers, so I definitely recommend that you try them!

Now, I have to leave you with this recipe while I go finish packing... we're heading out on vacation in the morning. Check back in a week or so, and I'll tell you all about it! :)

Ingredients
Yields about 30 whoopie pies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup mashed banana (from 1 large ripe banana)
1/2 cup sour cream
8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature 
1 cup raw sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

For Filling:
8 oz Neufchatel cream cheese, softened
4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 1/2 cups confections' sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

For Chocolate Topping:
6-8 oz semi-sweet chocolate

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.

In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another small bowl, combine banana and sour cream.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed until pale and creamy. Add egg and vanilla, beat until incorporated. Add banana mixture in two additions, alternating with flour mixture (you should begin and end with flour mixture).

Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe into 1 1/4-inch rounds on baking sheets, spacing 1 1/2 inches apart.

Bake 10-12 minutes, or until edges are golden and tops are set. Slide parchment, with cookies, onto wire racks. Let cool.

For filling, cream the cream cheese, butter, and peanut butter in a large mixing bowl. Gradually add confectioners' sugar. Beat in vanilla.

To assemble, pair the cookies up according to size. Transfer filling to a clean pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe filling onto the flat side of one cookie from each pair, leaving a little room around the edges. Sandwich the cookies so that the flat sides are facing each other, pressing gently so that the filling reaches the edge.

Melt chocolate according to package directions; let cool slightly. Spoon chocolate over top of assembled whoopie pies. Garnish with chopped pecans or sprinkles before the chocolate sets.

Enjoy!

Source: adapted from Martha Stewart

21 comments:

Angie's Recipes on March 5, 2011 at 1:03 AM said...

I like banana baked goods, but never thought of using them in whoopie pies. This is brilliant!

cocoa and coconut on March 5, 2011 at 1:26 AM said...

No wonder they were popular with your husband and friends at work...they look delicious! Chocolate is a great addition here

Brandie on March 5, 2011 at 9:31 AM said...

Have a great vacation! I have had whoopie pies on the brain too. These sound heavenly!

Mateja ^_^ on March 5, 2011 at 7:07 PM said...

They look so pretty! Banana must have added a beautiful flavor and fragrance to your pies, thank you for sharing :)

Pete on March 6, 2011 at 12:05 AM said...

These look great. Will have to give them a try!!

Sandra on March 6, 2011 at 12:59 AM said...

These are so delicious! Love your pics too..

Amy Bakes Everything on March 6, 2011 at 8:29 AM said...

These are so great! I love the chocolate topping - perfect! Great job!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake on March 6, 2011 at 8:31 AM said...

Ooh, boy, what a delicious version of whoopie pies!

Kate @ Diethood.com on March 6, 2011 at 10:04 AM said...

Oh my, I think these would be such a hit in my house... they must have been so good! I love banana in baked goods...and then topped with chocolate...yum!!

Unknown on March 6, 2011 at 11:14 AM said...

Oh my husband would eat them all in ONE SITTING!!! These look delicious! ♥- Katrina

Torviewtoronto on March 6, 2011 at 2:57 PM said...

delicious whoopies flavourful looks lovely

Carolyn on March 6, 2011 at 3:32 PM said...

Those are just gorgeous, Lindsey! I can see why Matt wants such a thing for his birthday.

Happy When Not Hungry on March 6, 2011 at 8:48 PM said...

Wow these whoopie pies look awesome! Have a great vacation too!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking on March 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM said...

Lindsey, you make the most adorable and mouthwatering desserts! This is no exception. What a lovely bunch of little whoopie pies, and I love the banana flavor. Yum!

Anonymous said...

I have never had a banana whoppie pie but I have no doubt that they would absolutely amazing! These are adorable!

Mary at n00bcakes on March 7, 2011 at 1:22 PM said...

Mmm, I love whoopie pies, despite the fact that I truly dislike the name. Banana pies sound delicious...though I don't know if I'd be able to trade them for an actual cake for my birthday. ^_^

Vicki Wilde on March 7, 2011 at 4:03 PM said...

I love whoopie pies, they have a great frosting to cake ratio! Banana and PB is an excellent combo, I bet these were awesome!

Kerry on March 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM said...

These look so good! I love bananas & peanut butter together. Making them into a whoopie pie is just genius.

KS Phillips on March 8, 2011 at 4:14 PM said...

These look great, I can't wait to try them!

Unknown on March 11, 2011 at 5:22 PM said...

Those do look great. I'd have to scrape of the chocolate, but I can live with that. Hope your vacation was awesome.

Stephanie on March 11, 2011 at 9:55 PM said...

I never thought to do a banana whoopie pie. Sounds delicious and they're very cute too!

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice