Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Funfetti Cupcakes


I have another cupcake to share with you... a Funfetti cupcake!

I'm so happy to have a delicious recipe to blog about (it has been slim pickins these past few weeks!). We've been a little busier than usual, so time in the kitchen has been scarce. The next couple of months are looking just as busy, so I will really have to carve out some special time with my oven... bear with me!

Now, back to that cupcake... :) 
One of my dear co-workers is expecting her first child next month, a baby boy. I absolutely adore working with her, so I'm super excited for her and her husband! And of course, what better way for me to express my excitement than to bake up some yummy goodness. :) To celebrate the baby on the way, I baked the mother-to-be's favorite cupcake. When Erin mentioned that her favorite cake was funfetti, I was ecstatic! I love funfetti! I mean, who doesn't? And it makes a perfect celebration cake, don't you think? I have only ever made it from a boxed mix, so I was delighted at the opportunity to try a homemade version. So... out jumped the sprinkles and these FUNtastic goodies were born!
Ingredients
Yields 12 cupcakes
1 cup plus 6 1/2 tbsp cake flour (I know this measurement is random, but it works!)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup raw sugar
3 large egg whites
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a standard muffin pan with paper liners.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer (on medium speed) until light and fluffy. Add egg whites and beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl as necessary. Add vanilla, mixing until incorporated. With the mixer on low speed gradually mix in dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with buttermilk, ending with dry ingredients. Mix just until incorporated. Fold in sprinkles.

Divide batter evenly between muffin cups. Bake 18-22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Frost cupcakes with buttercream frosting and sprinkle with rainbow sprinkles.

Source: adapted from Fake Ginger

21 comments:

singh from dominos india on March 2, 2011 at 1:18 AM said...

This looks really, really good. I'm a big snacker too and I often want to snack on a variety of things instead of having a big meal. Especially for lunch!

Kankana on March 2, 2011 at 1:45 AM said...

such pretty pretty looking cup cakes !

Blog is the New Black on March 2, 2011 at 7:41 AM said...

I've been dying to make a homemade funfetti cupcake! These look wonderful. :)

Anonymous said...

Those are SO much fun, I just love them! I have always been a fan of funfetti cake/cupcakes. They are so cute and just playful. You are so nice to have baked her something so pretty and delicious! :-)

Unknown on March 2, 2011 at 10:54 AM said...

I love the frosting color you chose! So inviting. It says "What are you doing still looking at me...EAT ME!!!" lol ♥- Katrina

Carolyn on March 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM said...

Funfetti appears to be an American thing, I'd never heard of them until I moved here. But I have to admit, yours look so cute and, well, FUN!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking on March 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM said...

Oh my goodness, these are so cute and what a sweet gesture to make these for your coworker! I love that you made your own funfetti cake... Everyone knows it's the tastiest kind of cake there is, hah! Thanks for sharing this sweet post and wonderful recipe.

Vicki Wilde on March 2, 2011 at 2:26 PM said...

I love funfetti! There are super cute and I'm sure your friend enjoyed them very much. Just curious, do you have a teal food color, or did you have to mix this up?

Mary at n00bcakes on March 2, 2011 at 2:28 PM said...

Cute little cupcakes; I approve! I've never made funfetti before (in fact, I didn't realize it was a flavor on its own), but they sure do look celebratory. Hope they're tasty!

Buttercream Blondie on March 2, 2011 at 3:15 PM said...

These look so pretty! I make my own funfetti cake all the time :) Love the buttercream color!

Harvesting for Life on March 2, 2011 at 4:03 PM said...

How adorable are those! I love the idea, my Sister In Law is expecting a little boy this June, and I think these might be a great addition to her baby shower! Thanks!

Memória on March 2, 2011 at 4:39 PM said...

This recipe looks perfect. I love the fact that it calls for buttermilk and cake flour. I have a feeling this is a good-tasting cake. Lovely decorations, too!

Evan @swEEts on March 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM said...

I just made funfetti cupcakes recently as well AND used blue buttercream :) Great minds think alike! I haven't posted mine yet, but I have an extra surprise with them as well.. Yours look delicious!

Stephanie on March 2, 2011 at 10:08 PM said...

That's funny, I made homemade funfetti cupcakes for a pregnant coworker because it's her favorite too. I love the color of your frosting. It's so vibrant and fun - goes great with the colorful sprinkles!

Lindsey on March 3, 2011 at 8:51 AM said...

Thank you all for your sweet comments!

Wilde in the Kitchen, I actually used a sky blue color to tint the icing. I just wanted the color to be a little more vibrant so I added more and this is what I got. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the color :) it looks so pretty!

Kita on March 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM said...

Love me some Fake Ginger and who doesn't love a great cupcake. These would be the perfect pick-me-up right now!

Angie's Recipes on March 4, 2011 at 2:56 PM said...

Beautiful cupcakes! The blue icing swirl looks very inviting.

Mateja ^_^ on March 4, 2011 at 9:25 PM said...

Gorgeous cupcake! Love the bright frosting sitting on the top, thank you for sharing! Have a great weekend :)

Unknown on March 5, 2011 at 10:20 AM said...

You've got Dudette all over this one begging me to make them. :) They look so cute and perfect for kids (or adults who are kids at heart).

The Addicted Baker on March 20, 2011 at 2:03 PM said...

The frosting color is so vivid. It's amazing!

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice