Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Shrimp in Garlic Sauce


Have I ever expressed my love for shrimp? If not, I'll express it now... I heart shrimp! With my whole heart. Undeniably so. If I wanted to, I could ramble off all the shrimp variations that I love -- blackened shrimp, shrimp scampi, coconut shrimp, shrimp alfredo, shrimp kabobs, shrimp po-boys, shrimp cupcakes. Ha! just kidding about the cupcakes, but I think you get the picture. So there... I've expressed my love. :)

You can definitely add this shrimp in garlic sauce to my list of favorites. This dish is super easy to assemble and so tasty! I mean seriously, can you ever go wrong with onions, bell peppers, and garlic? Not likely. My only complaint was that we didn't have any leftovers. I plan to double the recipe next time.
Ingredients
Yields 4 servings
4 cups water
2 cups (1 Boil-in-Bag) Uncle Ben's brown rice
1 green onion, chopped
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp butter, separated
1 medium red pepper, cut into thin strips
1 medium green pepper, cut into thin strips
1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
3 tsp minced garlic
1 (10 oz) package frozen, peeled and deveined shrimp, thawed

Directions
Prepare rice as directed on the box. Drain water and fluff rice. Add green onion and season to taste; cover and set aside.

In a measuring cup, combine broth and cornstarch; stir and set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a wok over medium-high heat. Add peppers, onion, and garlic; cook about 3 minutes or until peppers and onion are crisp-tender. Remove vegetables from wok and drain any liquids that may remain in the pan. Add shrimp and remaining tbsp of butter. Stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.

Push shrimp from the center of the wok. Stir broth mixture; add to the center of the wok. Cook and stir sauce until thickened and bubbly. Return vegetables to the wok and stir to coat all the ingredients with the sauce. Cook and stir about a minute more or until heated through. Serve immediately with rice.

Source: adapted from Borders at Home Simple Meals

6 comments:

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom on March 30, 2011 at 9:28 PM said...

Your recipe looks better than take-out and I love using frozen shrimp for stir-fry because you can use exactly what you need.

Unknown on March 30, 2011 at 10:13 PM said...

Ohh that looks great.

Beth Michelle on March 31, 2011 at 10:37 AM said...

This looks great!!

RavieNomNoms on March 31, 2011 at 11:43 AM said...

I love this! I think garlic and shrimp go really well together

Emily on April 3, 2011 at 10:37 AM said...

I defintely want to try this. It looks delicious! I love chinese food but hate all the salt. I am always looking for homemade versions. Thanks for sharing!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking on April 4, 2011 at 11:29 AM said...

This shrimp dish looks so healthy and flavorful, Lindsey! Great timing, too, since I just bought a bag of shrimp for another recipe and was feeling uninspired on what to do with the rest - I'll definitely be trying this soon! :) Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice