Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Irish Cream Whoopie Pies


Ah, whoopie pies... decadent cookies, sandwiched together with utter sweetness, beckoning to be devoured. I just can't seem to get enough of them! I've made three variations in the last month, and I'm swooning over the heavenly goodness that continues to find its way out of my oven. In celebration of St. Patrick's Day (and my love for Baileys!), I decided to try an Irish Cream Whoopie Pie.
I adapted the cookie portion from the chocolate pumpkin whoopies I made in the fall. Then, I whipped up a delightful Baileys buttercream filling.

These turned out SO good... they're intoxicating!

Ingredients
Yields about 20 whoopie pies
For the cookies
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
5 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup Baileys Irish Cream
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

For the filling:
12 tbsp (1 and 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 - 2 tbsp Baileys Irish Cream

Directions
Preheat oven to 375°. Line baking sheet with non-stick baking mat or parchment paper; set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, combine butter and both sugars. Using the paddle attachment, mix on medium/high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add egg and mix until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Adjust speed to low and gradually mix in half the flour mixture, then the Baileys and vanilla, and finish with the remaining flour mixture.

Drop tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake 10-12 minutes or until cookies spring back when lightly touched. Place baking sheet on wire rack and let cool 5-10 minutes. Remove cookies from baking sheet and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

For the filling, combine butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add Baileys and beat until combined. Transfer buttercream to a prepared pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.

To assemble, pipe filling on the flat sides of half the cookies then sandwich with remaining cookies.

21 comments:

Harvesting for Life on March 16, 2011 at 11:06 PM said...

I'd like one!!! (or ten... haha!) They look AMAZING!! And I'm sure they taste as decadent as they look!

Natalie@DeconstructingTheHome on March 17, 2011 at 12:24 AM said...

Such a great idea. I can't wait to try this. I might try adding a little Kahlua to mine!

veggietestkitchen on March 17, 2011 at 12:55 AM said...

these look wonderful, and only one egg?! I can totally make this eggless (due to my allergy) and am really looking forward to it. i've been craving these since seeing them at Starbucks! cheers.

Jeni on March 17, 2011 at 1:22 AM said...

OMG! I must try these.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets on March 17, 2011 at 7:53 AM said...

Oh these are so cute! I just made homemade Irish cream that would be perfect for this.

cocoa and coconut on March 17, 2011 at 8:53 AM said...

I love the way you've piped the filling inside. What a perfect way to celebrate St Patty;s Day!

Brandie on March 17, 2011 at 10:03 AM said...

Look at that filling. You have no idea how much I love Bailey's Irish cream. I adore the stuff. These are perfect!! Beautiful photos!

Vicki Wilde on March 17, 2011 at 11:02 AM said...

These are the perfect take on whoopie pies for today! Great job!

BigFatBaker on March 17, 2011 at 6:53 PM said...

Sounds great, I love whoopie pies! Your pictures are beautiful as well.

I have passed on an award to you! Feel free to check it out, pass it on, or ignore it if you have already received one.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake on March 17, 2011 at 7:24 PM said...

SO lovely with the piped filling...love these!

Melissa @IWasBornToCook on March 17, 2011 at 8:20 PM said...

These are adorable - I agree - the piped filling is great!

Kat @ Cupcake Kat on March 17, 2011 at 11:27 PM said...

Beautiful whoopies! I bet they taste just as good as they look

Jill Colonna on March 18, 2011 at 6:33 AM said...

I LOVE Baileys and they look so good. Why are you doing this to us? Pass on a few over here, please!

Sandra on March 18, 2011 at 1:09 PM said...

Wonderful job..lovee how you made them! Nicely done!!!

briarrose on March 19, 2011 at 2:13 PM said...

Beautiful. I love the ruffled look on the filling.

Anonymous said...

I can just imagine how fantastic these would be. What a great way to celebrate the Irish :)

Sandy - Everyday Southwest on March 25, 2011 at 3:13 AM said...

These look delicious. What is your secret for getting such perfect cake rounds? I saw a pan for making whoopie-pies in Sur Le Table the other day... have you ever used them?

Lindsey on March 25, 2011 at 10:55 PM said...

Hi Sandy! So funny you should ask because my friend and I were just talking about whoopie pie pans the other day. :) I have never used them before. This batter is thick enough that it drops perfectly with a mini cookie scoop. You could also try piping them with a pastry bag. Just make sure you pipe them tall and round so they won't flatten too much when baking. Hope that helps!

Unknown on November 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM said...

saw this on pinterest... to die for :)

Anonymous said...

Ok, not wanting to sound stupid, but can you get drunk on these?

Anonymous said...

The 1 cup of Bailey's in the dough gets baked, so the alcohol content is greatly reduced. The filling has 1 tablespoon divided among 20 cookies. If you ate all 20 whoopie pies I still don't think you could get even slightly drunk.

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice