Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Steak Fajita Burritos


Everyone has those go-to menu items that are simply irresistible in their household, right? You know, when you can't decide on anything else to make, or perhaps you don't feel like cooking but you obviously have to eat, or maybe you're crunched for time and unable to experiment with a new recipe. That's when you turn to one of those recipes that you know best (and love most!). A go-to recipe that you've tested, you've mastered, and that you've probably revamped a time or two. For me, one of those go-to recipes is fajitas. Yum! I taught myself how to make fajitas right after getting married, and I haven't stopped making them since. I love them! They're super easy to throw together, and I almost always have the ingredients on hand. Not to mention, they taste so darn good!

Now, I don't actually have a steadfast recipe for fajitas because I make them a little different each time. But that's what's so great about them... you can customize them to your liking! And since I'm only feeding myself and my husband, I buy the larger tortillas and wrap them up like burritos. If you're preparing these for more people, then buy the smaller tortillas and serve them taco style with extra fixings.

Ingredients
Yields 4-6 servings
2 medium size steaks
1 box Zatarains Spanish Rice (Note: I also LOVE to make these with the Zatarains Black Beans & Rice)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp minced garlic
1 medium onion, sliced into thin wedges
1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
sharp cheddar, shredded
flour tortillas

Directions
Slice steaks into strips. Season as desired... I seasoned these with sea salt, fresh ground pepper, cumin, and garlic powder. Let steaks stand about 20 to 30 minutes after seasoning.

Meanwhile, prepare rice as directed on the box (I omitted adding the canned tomatoes).

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak. Cook about 7 to 9 minutes, turning only once. (Feel free to cook your steak a little more or less depending on how you like your steak prepared.) Remove meat from skillet and set aside. Add garlic, onion, and peppers to the skillet. Cook until tender. Return meat to skillet and cook a minute longer, or until heated through. Serve immediately.

To assemble burritos, place tortillas on a microwave safe plate and heat in microwave for 20 seconds (I heat the tortillas individually). Fill the middle of the tortillas with rice, meat and veggies, and cheese. Fold tortilla and enjoy!

13 comments:

Emily @ Life On Food on April 7, 2011 at 8:20 AM said...

Looks like a super fast and easy dinner to whip up. I will have to try it out!

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom on April 7, 2011 at 8:44 AM said...

Just add a dollop of sour cream and call me to the table. Great easy recipe!

Mary at n00bcakes on April 7, 2011 at 9:15 AM said...

Seconded! I loooooove fajitas and they are also one of my go-to cooking items. I always have tortillas floating around in my fridge, so if I have leftover meat 9 times out of 10 goes into fajitas later in the week. Looks delicious!

RavieNomNoms on April 7, 2011 at 9:27 AM said...

I love burritos, any which way you swing it....these look so delicious! Wish I had this for my lunch haha

Harvesting for Life on April 7, 2011 at 1:52 PM said...

Oh that looks SOOOO good! I love burritos like this, I will have to add it to my menu for the week!

Christina on April 7, 2011 at 2:11 PM said...

Oh! These look so good!

Beth Michelle on April 7, 2011 at 2:30 PM said...

Love this. Looks so good.

Carolyn on April 7, 2011 at 7:31 PM said...

These look so good and fresh. And satisfying!

kita on April 7, 2011 at 9:53 PM said...

These sound amazing. We love our Mexican inspired meals in this house and this looks like it has to make its way into our rotation.

Happy When Not Hungry on April 8, 2011 at 9:13 AM said...

Love fajitas especially with steak! These guys look and sound amazing!

Sandra on April 8, 2011 at 3:17 PM said...

This look fantastic and soooo tasty!!!!! I could eat one right now!!!

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny on April 13, 2011 at 8:38 PM said...

First I want to say I absolutely LOVE your site, it's gorgeous! Second, these fajitas look incredible! These are a must on my list of recipes to make :)

Unknown on April 14, 2011 at 8:27 AM said...

I love meals in packages. This is a great idea to use with anything in the house, you're right. Thank you for the recipe and the inspiration.

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice