Thursday, April 28, 2011

Jubilee Jumbles


Hi! Have I got some yummy goodness to share with you today. :) It's my first guest post, and here to present these darling Jubilee Jumbles is my friend, Megan. You may recall Megan from my baking extravaganza post. She is a friend of mine that shares my passion for baking, and I am delighted to host her here on my blog! Megan and I love to talk baking… we share recipes and baking tips, we love to bounce ideas off each other when we’re trying something new, and most of all we LOVE to sample each other’s creations! These cookies were among the first baked goods that Megan shared with me, and I was in awe over the yumminess. These cookies are absolutely amazing, and it only seems right to let Megan share these with you. So without further ado, I’d like to welcome Megan to Burn Me Not!!
Jubilee Jumbles, or as I’ve always called them, “Icing Cookies”!

I have many fond childhood memories of baking with my Mom and of all the cookies we’ve ever made, these cakey, glazed beauties are by far the most requested and beloved by our family and friends. Every time we made them when I was a young, kids would come from surrounding houses to get a bite—a tradition, I might add, that continued even after I went to college. Have you ever seen a group of hungry college students stampede towards a box of homemade cookies? It’s not pretty, but it sure makes for fast friends!
Now I should give fair warning—these cookies are extremely addicting and once people taste them, they are bound to ask for more. For me, the most dangerous (or delicious?) part is the glaze. I must admit that even as an adult I have a tendency to make myself sick swiping the extra glaze from the wax paper! 

Now, whip up a batch and feed your sweet tooth---it will thank you!

Adapted from Betty Crocker’s New Picture Book, 1961

Ingredients
Yield: 4 dozen

For the cookies:
½ cup shortening
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
2 ¾ cups flour
½ tsp soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

For the browned butter glaze:
½ cup butter
2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla
2-4 Tbsp hot water

Directions

Mix shortening, sugars, and eggs thoroughly. Stir in sour cream and vanilla. Add flour, soda, and salt and stir until well incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoons (I use a medium cookie scoop) onto greased baking sheets. Bake for about 10 minutes at 375 degrees, or until almost no imprint remains when touched with finger. Cool cookies on wax paper.

To make the glaze, melt the butter until golden brown. Blend in sifted confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Stir in hot water until icing spreads smoothly. (A note about the glaze: be sure the water is hot…it makes a big difference. Start with 2 Tbsp—it’s usually enough to get a smooth, thick glaze, but add more water, a tablespoon at a time, until you get the consistency you desire.)

Once cool, dip the top of each cookie into the browned butter glaze.  Let cool on wax paper until the glaze sets. Store in airtight container, if they aren’t gone by then!

5 comments:

Carolyn on April 29, 2011 at 6:59 AM said...

These look delicious, I've never heard of them but they look delicious!

Torviewtoronto on April 29, 2011 at 11:58 AM said...

yummy looking snacks

Buttercream Blondie on April 29, 2011 at 1:06 PM said...

These cookies look so good especially with that browned butter glaze!

briarrose on May 2, 2011 at 4:23 PM said...

Yummm....what a wonderful cookie...especially with that glaze.

Anonymous said...

I have seen a few recipes for these on the net, but I haven't seen one like my Mom's. Instead of nuts or chocolate chips, hers has chopped dates. Everything else is the same. I have to make a double batch at Christmas otherwise there's not enough for everyone that wants them ! Also, it uses evaporated milk instead of sour cream.

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice