Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Shrimp and Black Bean Chili


A chill is in the air. It's been on and off again these past few weeks, but that's the beauty of Georgia... you never know what the weather will be like when you wake up in the mornings. Except for summer. In August, you can bet your lunch money that it will be hot, and it will be humid. But those days are behind us for now, and we're looking ahead to winter. Last winter was one of our coldest on record (at least on my records). It definitely snowed three times. And well, let's be honest, that is just unheard of around here. And you may ask, how does one Georgian survive such brutal winters? Simple. A couple layers of clothing. Lots of cuddling with the hubby. And warm, savory soups! This year, I plan to be well prepared. I have a handful of recipes that I've been collecting, and I plan to try them all! There is nothing quite like a warm bowl of soup when it's cold outside. Throw in a grilled cheese, and you've just completed one of life's better moments.

So first on the list is this shrimp and black bean chili. The recipe calls itself a chili, but I would consider it a hearty soup because there is a lot of broth... and it just feels more soup-like. You can serve it with a side of rice if you choose. The rice is good if you're trying to spread the meal out a little further, but I can easily go without it. I think I loved this dish so much because it incorporates some of my favorite ingredients. The shrimp and black beans are a given. But also the onion, tomato and bell pepper are staples when I cook, so I pretty much had everything on hand to whip this up.

Mmm. I'm smiling just thinking about it. :)

Ingredients
Yields 6 servings
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup picante sauce
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 lb cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
cooked brown rice, optional 

Directions
In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in black beans, tomatoes, broth, picante sauce, cumin and basil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.

Add shrimp (I tossed my shrimp in Season All to give it a little flavor). Simmer 3-4 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with rice if desired. 

Source: slightly adapted from Taste of Home 2010 Best Holiday Recipes magazine

Shrimp on Foodista

6 comments:

Katerina on November 18, 2010 at 3:25 AM said...

I love shrimps. In fact I have a post about shrimps too. Your recipe looks perfect because I love beans too.

Carolyn on November 18, 2010 at 6:45 AM said...

I've never thought of adding shrimp to chili, but one of our favourites is spicy shrimp so it makes sense!

Medifast Coupons on November 18, 2010 at 9:53 AM said...

A great sounding chili recipe, nice with the shrimp, thanks for a new chili recipe to try.

Alisa on November 18, 2010 at 10:17 AM said...

This looks really good.I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this Shrimp widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about shrimp recipes, Thanks!

Unknown on November 18, 2010 at 8:40 PM said...

I'm not involved with any blog site. I'm just a reader and this looks fantastic! You're right, I think it does fall under the soup category more than a chili, but it's perfect for chilly weather.

Veronica Culver on November 24, 2010 at 10:35 PM said...

This chili/soup looks and sounds amazing! I love all the ingredients. I agree with you when you said if you add a grilled cheese with your soup it's a great moment!

Best,
Veronica

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice