Saturday, February 19, 2011

Cookie Brownies


I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to this three-day weekend ahead of me. The weather is supposed to be nice (great for tennis!), I have a few dates with some of my dearest friends, and I have a kitchen screaming my name (begging to be used!). I hope I can find time to fit everything in!

Before I jump to this amazing recipe and leave you to start my weekend, I wanted to take a few lines and thank a couple of my fellow bloggers who have been kind enough to share some blogging awards with me over the past few weeks. Mateja from Indulging Life shared a Most Deserved Award and Lynn from Sprinkles of Flavor passed along a Stylish Blogger Award. Both of these foodies have amazing blogs with scrumptious recipes, so I highly encourage you to check them out! And again, thank you Mateja and Lynn! I'm truly honored that you would select Burn Me Not for these awards.
And now, how about some yummy goodness to set this weekend in the right direction. These brownies were awesome! They are cakey with a walnut crunch and a delicious cookie topping. I could sit down and eat a handful at a time because they are not overly rich... they are right on the money! I do wish the cookie topping was a solid layer, so next time I think I'll reserve half the batter for it (instead of one third). If you decide to try it that way, then I would recommend cutting the walnuts down to 1/2 cup. Either way, I think you'll be pleased with the results.

Have a great weekend!

Ingredients
Yields 20 brownies
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup raw sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 oz semisweet chocolate, melted
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan with baking spray; set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda; set aside. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine milk and vanilla in a measuring cup. With your mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk mixture. Beat just until ingredients are incorporated.

Remove a third of the batter to another bowl. Mix in melted chocolate with the remaining two thirds of batter. Fold in walnuts. Spread evenly into prepared baking pan. Add chocolate chips to the reserved batter. Drop by spoonfuls over the top of the pan and (gently) spread evenly.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack before cutting.

Source: adapted from Taste of Home Fall Baking Cookbook magazine

15 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake on February 19, 2011 at 9:10 AM said...

Ooh, boy, do these look scrumptious! We love ALL brownies here...and love to see new versions! YUM.

Debbie B. on February 19, 2011 at 11:12 AM said...

I am SO excited about this long weekend too! :) Enjoy.

Carolyn on February 19, 2011 at 2:52 PM said...

Congrats on your awards, Lindsey, much deserved. Now pass the cookie brownies!

kita on February 19, 2011 at 3:02 PM said...

Oh goodness do these not look amazing! I'm a sucker for a great brownie combo of any sort

Lynn on February 19, 2011 at 3:43 PM said...

Those look great!

Kate @ Diethood.com on February 19, 2011 at 11:16 PM said...

Yummy! I haven't had brownies in so long and this recipe inspires me to get in that kitchen and whip up a batch or two!

Tiffany on February 20, 2011 at 7:40 AM said...

These look decadent and wonderful! And congrats on your awards!!!

Brandie@thecountrycook on February 20, 2011 at 10:20 AM said...

Brownies and Cookies - a match made in heaven. These sound so lovely!!

Sandra on February 20, 2011 at 11:36 PM said...

mmm..yummy! Love your photos!

Happy When Not Hungry on February 21, 2011 at 9:05 AM said...

These look delicious! Creative recipe too!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking on February 21, 2011 at 11:54 AM said...

These look sinful and absolutely scrumptious! What a creative idea to merge my two favorite desserts - cookies and brownies! Wonderful recipe.

Mary at n00bcakes on February 21, 2011 at 2:30 PM said...

Congratulations on your awards! And congratulations on sharing another good-looking recipe. I like solid, cakey brownies, and I don't think a cookie topping would do anything but make the brownie more tasty. Thanks for sharing!

briarrose on February 21, 2011 at 7:45 PM said...

Yummy brownies. I like the idea of a cookie topping.

Bubbe Bites on February 21, 2011 at 7:47 PM said...

Oh boy does this look good. The best of both worlds.

Mateja ^_^ on February 26, 2011 at 5:59 PM said...

You are welcome! And these brownies are just my kind of food, love the photos, so detailed and descriptive, yum! Have a wonderful Saturday evening :)

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice