Monday, January 17, 2011

Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake


Hello Morning! I happily greet you today with warm sips of caffeinated fuel, and a thoughtfully witted book I find highly entertaining. But that's nothing too out of the ordinary for us, is it Morning? Just our usual routine to help align our day in the right direction. Oh but Morning, that's not all that's in store for us, is it? No. This amazing composition of heavenly goodness wishes to join us for a bit... I think we can manage a slight adjustment to our routine, don't you? Hmm. I welcome this special guest with open arms and an empty tummy. Welcome Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake! Thank you for stopping by and do promise that you'll return again soon!!

Ok, I haven't completely gone insane. I just thought I would share the conversation that went on in my head when I sat down to enjoy this delectable cake with my morning coffee. Delightful! I love berries and I love coffee cake... so when I came across this recipe, I immediately patted myself on the back for having picked up a fresh carton of blueberries the other day. The almonds were a splendid match. This cake is amazingly fluffy. I think I finally grasped the concept of "stir just until moistened." For a while I struggled with this when it came to muffins or pancakes. I just have a hard time leaving lumps in a batter. But magically enough, sometimes lumps are not a bad thing. :) Matt and I both enjoyed this little cake (very much!), and I do plan to make this again soon. Perhaps next time I'll make it with strawberries. Yum! I also might add a little more cinnamon sugar topping next time. I love for cinnamon to bite back when I gobble up a piece of coffee cake. I've provided the original dose, so you can choose for yourself if you would like to add more. Hope you enjoy!

Ingredients
Yields 9 servings
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 egg
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 cup fresh blueberries, divided 
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8-in square baking dish with baking spray; set aside.

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda; set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, butter, and extracts until blended. Stir in dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in 2/3 cup blueberries.

Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Top with remaining blueberries. Combine the almonds, brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

Source: The Taste of Home Baking Book

18 comments:

Kate @ Diethood.com on January 17, 2011 at 11:43 AM said...

I'd love to wake up to a piece of that cake - that looks amazing and it sounds really good.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love coffee cake and yours looks delicious. Will definitely have to try. Thanks for sharing!

Steph on January 17, 2011 at 11:55 AM said...

What a great looking cakes! I love the almonds, I don't know why I never thought to add alomnds to coffee cake before :) Yummy!

Blog is the New Black on January 17, 2011 at 1:07 PM said...

Looks DELISH!

Annie's Dish on January 17, 2011 at 1:21 PM said...

This sounds so delightful with morning coffee! Pretty too!

All That's Left Are The Crumbs on January 17, 2011 at 3:53 PM said...

This looks delicious!

Christina on January 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM said...

The almonds on top really make this look spectacular!

Kita on January 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM said...

Blueberry + almond + coffee cake... everything about that sounds amazing. I really wanna try a piece.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake on January 17, 2011 at 6:37 PM said...

Wow, that looks so moist and lovely! I think it would tempt me out of bed on these cold winter mornings!!!

Torviewtoronto on January 17, 2011 at 8:23 PM said...

delicious cake looks healthy

megan on January 17, 2011 at 9:19 PM said...

I tend to like anything with blueberries in it! yum :)

Tiffany on January 18, 2011 at 8:39 PM said...

Yum! I bet the buttermilk makes such a great delicate cake! And the almonds on the top for crunch!?! Fantastic!

Aimee on January 18, 2011 at 9:58 PM said...

Oh my goodness all week I have been craving an almond blueberry muffin, so this recipe sounds great!!

Unknown on January 20, 2011 at 12:19 PM said...

Anything with blueberries gets my vote, and this coffee cake looks just delicious!

Kim on January 22, 2011 at 12:36 AM said...

this looks soooooo yummy!

Unknown on January 25, 2011 at 11:25 AM said...

I adore coffee cake for breakfast especially with my coffee (go figure). Add some fruit to the coffee cake and I'm doubly happy. This looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

maggie@auberginesandolives on January 27, 2011 at 10:43 PM said...

Ohhhh dear, they look too good to be true, cannot wait to make them , LOVE the ingredients, what's not to love! The photos are fabulous! Atlanta, so close, we are in Asheville , N.C. Nice! Maggie

the Junkie book on February 1, 2011 at 5:56 AM said...

i've been collecting blueberry bake recipes to narrow down later. this reads so good. sure you had a good time!

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice