Friday, September 24, 2010

Tiramisu Cake


How do you say Happy Birthday to Mom? With a yummy tiramisu cake, that's how! My family and I recently came together to celebrate my mom's birthday, so of course a cake was in order. My mom was up for trying something new, so I started searching for recipes, not certain of what I was in the mood for... until I stumbled across this recipe! I love tiramisu, so to transpose it into a layer cake sounded delightful.

This was not a difficult cake to make. It came together quite easily. The recipe called for a packaged white cake mix, but I would have none of that. Don't get me wrong... I have nothing against a boxed cake when you need something super quick or just don't feel like spending time in the kitchen. Lord knows I have baked my share of them! But the whole purpose of this blog is for me to expand my kitchen skills, so I decided I would prepare the cake from scratch... but you could do it either way, just remember to add the instant coffee to a couple of your layers.
Another note about this recipe is that when reading reviews prior to making it, I saw that a lot of people commented on doubling some of the ingredients. I took their advice and doubled the coffee mixture that you use to soak the cake, definitely think that was a solid choice, but I would also recommend doubling the filling. The filling has the richest flavor, so the next time I make this cake I want there to be more of it! I have already factored in these additions to the recipe below, so you should be all set with following these instructions. Hope you enjoy!

Ingredients
Cake:
3 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
4 tsp baking powder
pinch salt 
1 1/3 cups milk
2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup plus 3 tbsp sugar
6 large egg whites
3 tsp instant coffee powder

Coffee Mixture:
1/2 cup coffee (room temperature)
2 tbsp coffee flavored liqueur

Filling:
2 (8oz) containers mascarpone cheese 
1 cup confectioners sugar
4 tbsp coffee flavored liqueur

Frosting: 
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
2 tbsp coffee flavored liqueur

Garnish: 
cocoa powder
1 (1 oz) square semisweet chocolate

Directions
For the cake: Preheat oven to 375°. Grease three 8 inch round cake pans with cooking spray and line with parchment paper rounds; set aside.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and whisk together; set aside. In a 2-cup glass measuring cup, stir together milk and vanilla; set aside.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream together shortening and 1 cup of sugar. On low speed, add flour mixture in three parts, alternating with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat until just combined.

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites on low speed until foamy. While still mixing, gradually add remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar; beat on high speed until stiff glossy peaks form. Do not over beat. Gently fold a third of the egg white mixture into the flour mixture until combined. Gently fold in remaining egg whites.

Pour one third of batter into one of the prepared pans. Stir instant coffee into remaining batter; divide among remaining two pans. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks and cool completely.

For Coffee Mixture: Combined brewed coffee and coffee liqueur; set aside.

For Filling: In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer set on low speed, combine mascarpone, confectioners sugar and coffee liqueur; beat just until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.

For Frosting: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium-high speed, beat heavy cream, confectioners sugar and coffee liqueur until stiff. Fold 1 cup of frosting into filling mixture.

For Garnish: To make chocolate curls, microwave chocolate square for 10 seconds. Use a vegetable peeler and run it down the edge of the square.

Assembling the cake: Place one coffee flavored cake layer on a serving plate or cardboard cake round. Using a thin skewer (or toothpick), poke holes in cake, about 1 inch apart. Using a pastry brush, spread one third of reserved coffee mixture evenly over the cake. Then spread with half of the filling. Top with plain cake layer; poke holes in cake. Spread another third of coffee mixture over second layer and then spread with the remaining filling. Top with the other coffee flavored cake layer; poke holes in cake. Spread remaining coffee mixture on top. Cover sides and top of cake with frosting. Place cocoa in a sieve and lightly dust top of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.

Source: adapted from AllRecipes, cake adapted from Martha Stewart's Lady Baltimore Cake

2 comments:

Melissa Mitchell, NT on September 24, 2010 at 4:01 PM said...

I want a piece!!

Mary Lou Badger said...

I am a friend of your mothers and she told me you were making her birthday cake. You made a lovely cake for a very special person. Tiramisu if one of my favorite things, so I will be trying this recipe.

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice