Monday, April 18, 2011

Brown Butter Blondies


So here's a question for you... are you a brownie or a blondie person? If I were still 10 years old, I would shout "brownie" at the top of my lungs without a second of hesitation. I was one of those kids that loved anything chocolate... and I mean l-o-v-e-d chocolate. Now don't jump to any conclusions, I'm not about to declare that I no longer love chocolate. But with age, my taste buds have matured a bit. Now I love such a variety of flavors, that chocolate is not usually my first choice anymore. I guess it all depends on my mood. :) So which do you prefer? Actually, before you answer that question, I would highly recommend that you give this recipe a try. These blondies are amazingly scrumptious!
I made these blondies for a co-workers birthday, and they were a huge hit at the office. The combination of browned butter and light brown sugar is a delicious foundation for the pecans and chocolate toffee bits housed inside these delectable goodies... and of course I threw in a few white chocolate chips, just because I felt like it. :) I'm keeping these bars on deck for the next party or gathering we go to where I need to bring a dessert. Guaranteed crowd pleaser!!
So tell me, are you a brownie or blondie person? Today, I am most definitely a blondie person! :)

Ingredients
Yields 24 blondies
1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups packed light-brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup chocolate toffee bits
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Directions
In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the butter until it turns golden brown. Remove from heat and let cool.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch pan with baking spray. Line with parchment paper, allowing a 2-inch overhang on the longer sides. Grease parchment (not overhang). Set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.

In a large bowl, stir browned butter and both sugars with a wooden spoon until combined. Using an electric mixer, beat in eggs on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla and beat until combined. Gradually add flour mixture, beating until thoroughly combined. Mix in pecans, toffee bits, and white chocolate chips. Pour mixture into prepared pan.

Bake 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Lift out of the pan and transfer to cutting board. Cut into 24 squares.

Source: adapted from Martha Stewart

20 comments:

Alil Country Sugar on April 19, 2011 at 8:14 AM said...

Yummmmy!! I found that with age my first choice is not chocolate anymore either. These sound amazing with all the yummy flavors in them.

RavieNomNoms on April 19, 2011 at 8:50 AM said...

Those look amazing!! I was actually not a chocolate fan until I got older haha...amazing right? I was always a vanilla child so I stayed away from chocolate...now I love it! However, these look amazing and I have a feeling I would reach for these before a brownie

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake on April 19, 2011 at 8:59 AM said...

I love both, but I think blondies rate a little higher. Love the idea of browned butter...mmmmm.

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom on April 19, 2011 at 9:02 AM said...

I still almost always choose chocolate but I do love a good blondie. Brown sugar is one ingredient I have to have in the kitchen at all times. The white choc chip addition was a great idea.

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny on April 19, 2011 at 9:59 AM said...

These look delicious!! Definitely saved this to my list of recipes :)

adorasbox on April 19, 2011 at 10:17 AM said...

Love the brown butter part, also the toffee bits. My husband and I used to queue up outside Haagen Daz in the winter just to eat blondie sundaes. I'm saving this recipe and will make some for him and kids.

Emily @ Life On Food on April 19, 2011 at 11:22 AM said...

I am definitely a brownie gal. I love caramel though and the more and more I hear about browned butter the more I think I need to get on the bandwagon. These look so yummy!

Molly @ Toffee Bits and Chocolate Chips on April 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM said...

I Totally almost made these this weekend! They look delicious! Your post is all the more reason why I should make them! yummm!

I love browned butter- it was a recent revelation haha. I'll have to compare these to the browned butter cocoa brownies I made a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely killer!

Tiffany on April 19, 2011 at 4:20 PM said...

Can I be a brownie AND a blondie person?

Carolyn on April 19, 2011 at 4:25 PM said...

Saw these on foodgawker today, they look amazing!

Unknown on April 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM said...

I am a blondie for sure! These look perfect!

Unknown on April 19, 2011 at 9:20 PM said...

I love blondies..these look great.

Çitra's Home Diary on April 20, 2011 at 8:11 AM said...

Your blondies looks tempting ^_^ YUM!

Time For Good Food on April 20, 2011 at 10:58 AM said...

Yum, these look delicious! I've seen lots of baking recipes lately that use browned butter. In fact, I just blogged about browned butter chocolate chip cookies (http://bitly.com/fWWfJt). I think I'm going to brown butter for everything from now on. So delicious! Thanks for this recipe. And for the record, I'm a brownie and a blondie person!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking on April 20, 2011 at 12:22 PM said...

I love blondies and yours look perfect, Lindsey! So soft and buttery and absolutely perfect for a snack or dessert. Thanks for sharing your awesome recipe... I'll be saving it to try soon!

Megan on April 20, 2011 at 2:22 PM said...

Mmmm, I agree. There's something so wonderful about blondies, isn't there? Thanks for sharing this...it looks amazing!

Diethood.com on April 20, 2011 at 3:46 PM said...

mmm mmm mmm!!! I would love to have a few of these ... right now! :) Oh they sound so good!

Anonymous said...

I love brownies, but am always pleased to switch things up with a blondie. And brown butter anything is alright with me! :) PS: I have a fun giveaway going on right now...stop by and check it out!

Cooking Gallery on April 23, 2011 at 3:38 AM said...

I love both blondies and brownies, these look so good...!!

Sally Darling on June 18, 2011 at 10:51 AM said...

These look Marvelous! Gonna make, gonna make gonna make! Mouth-watering photos by the way!

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice