Friday, October 15, 2010

Cake-Topped Apple Cobbler


The last time my mom came over to visit we spent two days cooking and baking, and it was a blast! So when she came over last weekend, we were eager to make our way back into the kitchen. :) We browsed through recipes, found a couple we wanted to try, and assembled our grocery list. As we were about to run out to the store, Matt chimed in… “What are you baking?” I read him our list, but nothing sounded overly exciting to him. So, he asked if he could select a recipe that he wanted to try. His selection - this apple cobbler. I added Granny Smith apples and vanilla ice cream to our list and off we went.
We started out the afternoon baking apple cupcakes. They didn't turn out very pretty, but at least the flavor was there so they weren't a complete waste. While cooking dinner, we went ahead and assembled this cobbler for Matt. Before sitting down to eat, we popped it in the oven to bake. Our approach was perfect because dessert was ready shortly after we finished eating, and we served it warm with vanilla ice cream.

I won’t lie. I scrunched up my nose when Matt picked out this recipe. I honestly don't care much for cobblers, and I had my doubts on this one. But, we were making this for Matt. I was out to please his palate, not mine. Of course, before I could blog about this, I had to at least try it… and the results were amazing!  Totally exceeded my expectations. There was a perfect balance of crisp, cake, and apple in every bite. Beautifully sweetened with a subtle hint of tartness. Simply scrumptious! I cannot rave enough about this cobbler. I will definitely make this again, and I think it may have even earned a spot on our Thanksgiving menu because it was definitely holiday worthy. Excellent choice by my hubby!

Ingredients
6 cups sliced peeled Granny Smith apples (about 3 apples)
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp butter, softened
1 egg
1/4 cup egg substitute
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8-in square baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange apple slices in the prepared dish. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples.

In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and remaining sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg and egg substitute; mix well. In a small bowl combine flour and baking powder; add to egg mixture and beat until blended. Drop by spoonfuls over apples and spread evenly.

Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. (We baked the last 5 minutes at 400° to help crisp the top.) Cool slightly and serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Source: Taste of Home Fall Baking Cookbook (magazine)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice